Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 1

Sooooooo...day 1!!!

for many of you who know me...you all know how I have had a mustache and goatee since...well...FOREVER...but I had to shave it all off for culinary school...soooooo...I'm baby face Zeke again.

I may post a picture..once I get use to this look...Chef babyface? hmmmm...has a catch. LOL

So...I got dressed in my chef outfit, got my books, and headed to school.

Now, granted, today was just orientation...but I was still nervous...you know how long its been since I went to school??? I mean...come on...I'm in a room full of kids that are right out of high school. Well, not all of them, but I'm definitely in the minority demographic wise.

The chef instructors introduce themselves, do the normal policies and procedures stuff and off to our classrooms.

Now...as a Freshman, we need to learn the basics...food safety, food familiarity and front of house stuff. The academy is also a fully functioning restaurant...breakfast and lunch service. This helps us put what we learn to practical use. The freshman will be waiters, bussers, cashiers, etc for the first 15 weeks to become familiar with front of house stuff...makes sense...OMG...I will actually be asking, "would you like fries with that?"...aaarrrrggghhhhhh...LOL

its all good actually...you need to know how all aspects of a restaurant works...front and back.

We have also been broken up into groups for our end of quarter project. We have to do a presentation at the end on something related to culinary. We chose to research "Organic" cooking. We need to visit some local farms, stores and a restaurant to learn more about how it works, the benefits, etc. I can't wait...we are already planning where to go and we will present and prepare a meal to be tasted that are exactly the same...one, with organic fresh food, the other with store bought, canned, and dried equivalents to demonstrate the taste benefit of organic food.

The next few days we are prepping for service as the restaurant will be opening up on May 6th...if anyone is in the area...come on down and make fun of me!!! Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 till 1:30. 1155 Spruce Street Riverside, CA 92507-2461

Tomorrow...the special will be??? how would you like that??? surrrreee...we can substitute onion rings for the fries. I would recommend the fish...I filleted it myself!!! LOL

1 comment:

  1. SEE, SEE...Live-Nation-Spy-Nation, this was the way to go and forget them entertainment folk! You seem so much happier doing this and I am so happy for you. Can't wait to hear more so post more will ya.

    the little sister

    ReplyDelete