Sunday, August 8, 2010

one more week!!!!

Just one more week and I will be done with my Freshman year!!!!

Last week was soooooo long knowing the coming of this next week...although last week was still pretty good.

A lot went last week.

At the beginning of the semester, we were put into groups and ask to select a topic and organize a field trip and prepare to do an hour long presentation at the end of the semester on this topic...our group had Organics...we had to give our presentation this last Wednesday.

By the way...after having had a tour of an organic farm, and learning everything I did, and everything I tasted...its very, very hard to buy produce from the store now.

In any case...we gave our presentation and it went very, very well. We were able to get organic produce donated and we did taste tests against store bought food and clearly the organic won...I also made a fresh salsa with the organic produce...WOW...it was great and nothing was left!

Also, on Tuesday, we had an opportunity to attend and help with the national ACF convention. the whole freshman class got to go and help in various areas of the conference. I got to assist Chef Della Gosset... http://www.frenchpastryschool.com/ ... in her demo of pastries in front of over 100 chefs from around the world...SHE WAS AWESOME!!! Click on the link and her picture is on the homepage. I learned so much working with her...and she gave me a hat for helping her.

the conference was pretty good...a sea of white chef coats all over the place. Got lots of free stuff from the trade show too...if anyone has been at a trade show...you will know what I mean.

Now...upcoming weeks events:

CPR training on Monday
Two more days of service
Thursday - help with Senior graduation
Friday - Final.

Overall, things are going real well. I will be studying hard for the final and then looking forward to having two weeks off before returning as a Junior.

As a Junior, I will get into the kitchen and actually start cooking...basic stuff of course...I will have a semester of "Competencies" where I need to cook a series of items to the Chefs standards. Sauces, cooking rice, knife cutting skills...etc. I will be practicing some of that stuff during my two weeks off...just to get a head start.

But, as a Junior, I will be on Breakfast line...so come on in in September and get some great breakfast cooked by us...if you like it...its cause I was making it...if not...then i wasn't my shift...LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment